Continuing Education and Industry Resources
With building technologies evolving rapidly, it is important for professionals to stay up to date with new developments in the industry. Below you will find links to continuing education resources and trade magazines. These courses focus on HVAC, fire protection, building security, green buildings, and more.
This link is for free continuing education for CEUs and PDH, (AIA and USGBC)
Just create and account and search for courses. They do a good job of keeping track of your certificates. Before taking a course make sure that it is still available for credit as some of them expire. Their course library search will help you find courses that are currently available for credit by credit type. At the end of each course there is normally a 10 question test.
- Ashrae: ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a global society advancing human well-being through sustainable technology for the built environment. The Society and its members focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability within the industry. Through research, standards writing, publishing and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today. ASHRAE was formed as the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers by the merger in 1959 of American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHAE) founded in 1894 and The American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE) founded in 1904. Their mission is to advance the arts and sciences of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration to serve humanity and promote a sustainable world.
- NFPA: Founded in 1896, National Fire Protection Association is a global, nonprofit organization devoted to eliminating death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. The association delivers information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering the NFPA mission. NFPA devotes much of its efforts to protecting lives and property through education. The organization provides many resources for fire, electrical, and life-safety instructions.
- USGBC: The vision and mission of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) are to improve the quality of life by transforming the design, composition, and operation of the places where we live, learn, work, and play within the short space of a generation. They believe in better buildings; places that complement our environment and enhance our communities. Places that give people better, brighter, healthier spaces to live, work and play. USGBC offers many online courses for you to choose from.
- ES Magazine: Engineered Systems Magazine has dozens of articles and free webinars on a wide range of industry topics. You can subscribe to this online resource for free.
- Architectural Record: Architectural Record is a great online resource for the building industry. They offer many online continuing education courses as well as free webinars.